principles of Holistic Expressive Play
Therapy as related to the subject of trauma.
• Consider the impact of trauma on the psyche, taking into account the physical, emotional, cognitive and spiritual needs of our clients.
• Explore the dissociative process and hyper-vigilance as well as the various ways they manifest themselves.
• Learn grounding methods that help individuals develop self-soothing and self-regulating abilities.
• Explore and learn expressive methods to safely access, release and integrate traumatic experiences.
• View and discuss images that illustrate how traumatized clients have used such methods to come to terms with their painful experiences.
• Consider the role of the therapist in facilitating the various stages of the recovery process.
• Experience the use of a variety of expressive therapies (art, sand play, fiber arts, etc.), visualizations, metaphors, and body-centered exercises related to the lecture material.